Assessment Item 1 – Recovery Presentation
Assessment Item 1 – Recovery Presentation
Length: 750 – 850 word (written) presentation and 750 – 850 word explanation
More details on all aspects of the task will be provided in Moodle, you must use the task information in Moodle and not this copy to work on your assessment. Also look at the page ‘Assessment Tips and Examples’ for further information and resources.
This assessment item involves 2 linked but separate tasks.
Objectives and Outcomes
As a nurse you need to be able to understand and engage in Recovery-oriented mental health practice. Because Recovery is an emerging concept you also need to be able to explain the core principles and even advocate for Recovery concepts both with consumers and your colleagues.
The goal of this assessment is to fine-tune and demonstrate your understanding of the principles of Recovery, how they relate to ‘real-world’ mental health consumers and the importance of consumer participation within the Recovery approach. You will demonstrate your understanding of the valuable role of nurses within a Recovery-orientated system of care. You also have an opportunity to practice how you would explain Recovery to someone who is unsure and possibly even of an opinion that they operate within a predominantly medical-model driven environment that does not ‘allow’ for Recovery-oriented practice.
Your assessment has 2 components:
1. In Part 1 of this task you will write (not deliver) a presentation for your fellow nurses as part of an in-service professional education session
2. In Part 2 you will explain your written presentation in an essay and provide references.
As this assessment has several parts, carefully re-read the information to make sure you fully understand it; ask your lecturer questions on the Q & A forum; and check the Moodle site for tips.
The Task – Part 1.
Many people who have worked in mental health services (and indeed consumers who have been accessing mental health services for a long time) have repeatedly been told that mental health challenges are ‘chronic and unremitting’. As a result, many practitioners and consumers don’t understand the Recovery concept and some even find it confronting. Additionally, nurses in mental health units within hospital settings can sometimes find it difficult to understand how Recovery-oriented practice can fit with a predominantly medical-model environment. Write a short presentation to explain to fellow nurses the core concepts of Recovery. You will submit your written presentation but will not have to present. The presentation will be written in ‘everyday people language’, to assist in bridging the gap of understanding between ‘consumer’ and ‘nurse’ perspectives.
To prepare for this assessment, carefully watch all the video lectures in modules 1 – 5 and contribute to forums to refine your ideas and receive feedback from your lecturer after reading course provided material.
Good participation in watching lectures and contributing to forums will have a positive impact on your grade. The Moodle site will record your progress as you watch lectures and forums will be monitored.
Checklist – Part 1.
Ensure the presentation addresses the following key areas and is written in an appropriate way – as if you were speaking at an in-service professional development workshop for fellow nurses in a mental health unit of a hospital:
1. What is Recovery? Define Recovery, including a description of some key Recovery principles. Include in your discussion how the concept of Recovery differs from other traditional approaches to mental health.
2. What role have Consumers played in the development and ongoing implementation of the Recovery approach in general? In considering this question, outline the importance of the consumer perspective in the mental health sector today, specifically in the development and implementation of the Recovery concept and Recovery based service and education.
3. What does Recovery mean for current consumers? Help your colleagues understand what this wide-scale change of beliefs and approach can mean for Consumers’ lives. In your discussion illustrate the importance of how a Recovery approach can impact on Consumers’ expectations for what their lives might be, and how this relates to key principles of Recovery you identified.
4. What role do nurses play in a Recovery-orientated system? Relate your role as a nurse to engaging with, and promoting, Recovery across various levels including:
a. Systemic – how your team can contribute to improving Recovery-oriented practice within your hospital and within the system you operate within and interact with (for example the hospital system, multidisciplinary teams, community mental health programmes, and family/social factors that contribute to Consumer mental health)
b. Interpersonal – how your role (and that of your colleagues) can contribute to an individual’s Recovery journey, particularly with consideration given to encouraging hope and autonomy for Consumers you work with in a hospital mental health unit
c. Intrapersonal – how you (and your colleagues) can further develop your own personal Recovery-oriented approach to your work
The Task – Part 2.
In addition to your written presentation, you will write a short academic essay (800 words) providing an explanation of what informed your presentation and why you found it relevant. This will include the references that informed your thinking. In addition to Course provided content, your references should include your own independently researched relevant literature with an emphasis on lived-experience led Recovery sources.
Checklist – Part 2.
Provide a logical and well justified explanation of your written presentation and include appropriate references. Include:
a. use of essay structure of introduction, body and conclusion to outline your argument
b. evidence of research (with an emphasis on lived-experience led research) and understanding of Recovery approach to mental health
c. references both in-text and in a Reference List (NB: in-text citations DO count in your essay word count, but your Reference List at the end of your essay does NOT contribute to your essay word count)
* Please Note:
• Refer to the following marking criteria for more detail on grading.
• On the due date upload your written presentation and your essay as one document.
• Include a cover page within the essay providing; your name and student number, your lecturer’s name, the name and code of the course and the number and name of the assignment (cover sheet template available in assessment tips and examples).
• You should be using APA referencing (a guide can be found via the CQUniversity Library website).
* All assessment items must be submitted and the total combined percentage of grading for both assessments must be equal to a pass (50%)
*Please note: Overall number of references is not the only consideration. The credibility of sources and authors will also affect your grade. Be critical in your selection of references and if you’re not sure, ask your lecturer
and experience the difference of letting the professionals do the work for you!
We are people committed to nothing but quality custom writing services!
It is a complete Writing Package With Free Plagiarism Report A Custom Paper and Free Revision
Direct Contact With Your Writer 24/7/365 Customer Support, We work towards your Success!