Week 6 Writing Assignment
For this week’s assignment, please draft one body paragraph for your Week 7 Persuasive Research Essay and submit it for feedback. Remember that for your Week 7 Persuasive Research Essay, you need to take your Midterm Persuasive Essay and add research to it. Body paragraph models are provided in the Sample Research Project link located under Week 6 and below. Note in the example below how the author took one body paragraph from the midterm essay and then enhanced it with research for the submission due this week. The following page in your textbook also provides information on including direct quotes in APA formatting in one’s work: p. 434.
Your submission should be at least 5-7 sentences long and at least one complete paragraph. You should include at least one direct quote (one or two sentences long). Quotation marks MUST be used around any quoted material and an in-text citation should accompany the direct quote. The research used needs to originate from the VC Online library and be credible in nature.
Original Paragraph Without Research from Week 5’s Midterm Essay:
Greater access to technology can most certainly lead to more learning for children of all ages. For instance, instead of reading about sharks in encyclopedias, first graders can now turn on a computer and go scuba diving with a diver off of the coast of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Such a learning experience is not only more memorable, it is more authentic and comprehensive. Details can be supplied in videos that would otherwise be two dimensional and lackluster in description can be brought to life in vivid detail through digital animations and recordings. In offering more technological devices to students, teachers can bring learning to life in ways that connect more concretely with students in order to both increase the breadth of knowledge acquired by students as well as the quality of knowledge being learned
Example Body Paragraph Submission with Research for Week 6:
Greater access to technology can most certainly lead to more learning for children of all ages. In fact, a report on the need for more technology in the classroom written by the U. S. Department of Education (2010) noted, “Technology provides access to a much wider and more flexible set of learning resources than is available in classrooms and connections to a wider and more flexible set of educators” (para. 9). For instance, instead of reading about sharks in encyclopedias, first graders can now turn on a computer and go scuba diving with a diver off of the coast of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Such a learning experience is not only more memorable, it is more authentic and comprehensive. Details can be supplied in videos that would otherwise be two dimensional and lackluster in description can be brought to life in vivid detail through digital animations and recordings. In offering more technological devices to students, teachers can bring learning to life in ways that connect more concretely with students in order to both increase the breadth of knowledge acquired by students as well as the quality of knowledge being learned.
Please be sure to use a signal phrase to introduce your quote and APA formatting. Please save the document in the following format: LastName_FirstName_Week 6. Submit as a Word or Rich Text Format file (.doc, .docx, or .rtf) to the proper Dropbox by 11:59 PM (MST) on Day 7 of Week 6.
Finally, an estimate of the time taken to complete this assignment is needed. Please copy and paste the following table to your journal feature (located in the Tools bar above) and fill in the appropriate information. Use the following label in the journal feature: Week 6 Assignment Time Log. The notation of this information will be part of your grade, so please be sure to supply this entry to the journal feature.
Unit 6: Week 6 – Guidelines and Requirements for Research Paper
Guidelines and Requirements for 1020 Research Paper – Due in Week 7
Remember, this is simply an expansion of the midterm essay topic. You will use the same thesis statement from your midterm essay.
Please review carefully the plagiarism information under the Week one tab before proceeding with this assignment.
1. For this assignment, you will be simply expanding upon the Midterm argumentative essay from Week 5. You will be adding interesting and pertinent quotations to your completed argument essay. Make sure you edit and revise your essay according to my grading comments from Week 5 before you begin to add quotations to your essay.
2. You are required to write an APA style research paper of at least 700 words and no more than 1000 words that is developed in 5 paragraphs.
3. Include a running head in this essay. For directions, please use the following source: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/insert-headers-and-footers-HP001226486.aspx#BM2. There is also a template in the Writing Resources of the Student Portal.
4. You will not write an ABSTRACT for this assignment. In this paper, your title page will be page one and the text of your essay will begin on page two. Please see the sample APA paper in Doc Sharing to see how to format the title page. Notice that your title will be repeated on the first line of page two—right above the first line of the text of your paper.
5. Your paper must be double spaced. Use the double space feature in your word processing program to set your spacing. Do not manually double space your work by hitting Enter at the end of each line–this can alter formatting.
6. Your paper must contain information from ONLY three outside sources. These sources should come from the Virtual Library.
7. Most of the information in this paper will come from your own knowledge and opinion; however, be careful to avoid the use of the first and second person voice. The research you locate will be used to support various assertions made in each paragraph. In most cases, one short direct quote of only one sentence should be used per body paragraph to support the main sub-topic being explored in each body paragraph. Remember that direct quotes must be used sparingly. The direct quote needs to be in quotation marks and accompanied by an appropriately cited APA in-text citation. A signal phrase should be used to introduce the direct quote.
8. You must use ONLY direct quotations from your sources in this assignment. Paraphrasing will not be used in this assignment. In other words, you may not take another writer’s or speaker’s words and put them into your own words. In other papers in other classes you may do this, but remember that paraphrases must always be documented with in-text citations and References list entries just like quotations. If you do not document a paraphrase, you are committing plagiarism. Only direct quotes that are appropriately cited should be used in this essay.
12. Always “lead up” to a quotation with information telling your reader where the quotation comes from:
. . . Michelle Weil and Larry Rosen (2012) enhanced the definition of technostress to include “any negative impact on attitudes, thoughts, behaviors, or body psychology caused directly or indirectly by technology” (p. 1).
Notice how this tells the reader, first, that your words have stopped and you are about to use another’s words and ideas. It also tells the reader where to look on the References list page to find publication information for the source. The information at the end of the quotation will be different depending on the type of source you are using and depending on how you introduce your quotation. Please read the sample APA research paper on pages 402-406 or the Week 7 Sample Essay to see many different examples of how to incorporate quotations into your essay. Also, review pages 425-436 for more examples.
13. You will write a References list at the end of your essay. Please refer to page 406 to see how your References page should look. Yours must be formatted exactly like this. Notice the running header at the top of the page, that References is capitalized and centered at the top of the page, that the page is double spaced, and that each entry is formatted with a “hanging indent.” See pages 415-425 to see how each entry should be written for each type of source. Since you are using the Virtual Library, however, this work is done for you. Please just click on the proper prompt, and the Virtual Library will generate the citation for you. You must then simply place it on your References page and be sure that it is formatted with double spacing and a hanging indent. Notice also that References page entries are listed alphabetically on the page.
14. You will have only three entries on your References list. The three should be from the Virtual Library.
As a general rule in research, avoid beginning or ending paragraphs with quotations. Write strong topic sentences in your own words, and end each paragraph with a strong concluding sentence in your own words. Also always lead up to quotations with your own words and follow up quotations with your own words. This helps to ensure that your research paper remains “yours.” It also helps your reader understand how your quotations tie back to your thesis.
Remember that this is supposed to be a learning experience so you will know how to write research papers in other classes. You are not expected to already know how to write an APA style research paper. PLEASE contact me with ANY questions about how to do any of this. Please also take advantages of my offers of help by posting your thesis and outline to the discussion boards so you will know that you have a strong thesis and a well-organized plan before you begin to draft your essay. You are also welcome to post questions to the Virtual Office or in a correctly signed email to me.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT!
Is this the question you were looking for? If so, place your order here to get started!